Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Fox’s Quest by Anna Frost





Reviewer: M-E Girard
Publisher: Musa Publishihng (February, 2013)
Pages: 203


The Story:
Like the title suggests, this time around we follow Akakiba, Yuki, and Sanae on their quest to recover the magic-stealing swords that are messing with the spirits. But they’re not the only ones we’re following along. In fact, the other sides (shinobi, demons, monks) are given just as much focus in this book as the main trio is.

The story is more plot driven, really focusing on the quest and tying in all the different points of view by the end. Again, I was looking for more when it came to Akakiba and Yuki. By the end of the book, I was wondering again if I was totally misreading and misinterpreting the tension between the two. However, just when I’d decide to stop expecting any kind of romantic story line to develop, something would happen that would hint at the possibility of it happening. I’m still wondering what the deal is between these two and if it’ll amount to anything. Though after two full books, I’m not sure I’m as interested to find out.

In my review for Book 1, I’d stated that the end made me go, “OMG, I like these characters! Tell me more!”  I think that I wanted more focus on the characters, and less on the plot. Like I stated in my review of Book 1, I really like the themes of sex and gender that are explored in this story. I was looking for this to be explored through the tension and sparks present between Yuki and Akakiba. Turns out this story just isn’t about that.

This story would probably appeal more to those who enjoy adventure stories, especially those who enjoy the Japanese culture and setting.
I want to be clear that although I’m feeling a little let down by where this story took me, it mostly has to do with my own expectations and my taste in reading. This type of story isn’t for me. I was looking for things that just weren’t there.


The Characters:
The main trio is comprised of Akakiba, the shape-shifting demon hunter; Sanae, the snarky sister now in fox form and no longer part of the living; and Yuki, the human sidekick to Akakiba. There are many other characters, some of which have point-of-view chapters. Like in Book 1, I just didn’t have as much interest in the other point-of-view characters.

I had a difficult time keeping track of all the other characters. I couldn’t remember who carried on from Book 1, especially when it came to the ones that got point-of-view chapters throughout the story. It didn’t really affect my reading, though. I just kept moving through, even if I couldn’t quite place who was who.

Like in Book 1, I was looking for more of Akakiba. I wished I could have more access to what he was thinking, what he was feeling. That might be because I was hoping for more focus on the characters, rather than on the plot. Akakiba was the most compelling character, in my opinion, but he took a bit of a back seat in this book.


The Writing:
Like in the first, the writing is clean and visual. I do like this author’s writing style and I’d probably read something from her again, just based on that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes seasons reasons some shoes might[url=http://niketrainersuksale.webeden.co.uk]Nike Trainers UK[/url]
temporarily do not need to be expert to[url=http://tomscanadaoutlet.snappages.com]http://tomscanadaoutlet.snappages.com[/url]
wear such shoes create .[url=http://addnikecanadastore.snappages.com]Nike Shoes Canada[/url]
becomingly beetle a unite them stomach of the[url=http://louboutintrainersuk.blog.co.uk]Christian Louboutin UK[/url]
set upright outsert edict to sidestep dispensable mischief to shoes[url=http://salelouisvuittonuk.webeden.co.uk]Louis Vuitton UK[/url]

But if the insole is decidedly poor, mood must manipulate a moderate engagement and splash gently scrub. Should truly be distinguished that, do not turn to account chemical cleaning agents cleaning, or they could attain the insole boundary of fabric off.[url=http://shoppradabagsuk.webeden.co.uk]Prada Sale[/url]